....I must luv punishment! :D

Ok so, I have no pictures for you, dear .33 reader(s), only tales of my growing frustration.



As much as I like dragging my little White 1740 machine to quilting group, because its light, I'm COMPLETELY frustrated with its intolerance of my free motion foot and feed dog cover. The tension is all wonky now. Its been great for regular sewing and piecing. I won't get rid of the thing, but I'm dying for my husband to help me uncover my 1970's-80's Kenmore I got from my parents. Unfortunately, I ditched my sewing for other hobbies boys and never learned anything about my machine, other than to sew a few pillows for my Barbies. I must have been about 10-12, based on the playing with Barbies....that would make it a 1970's machine.

I'm so tense now my eye is twitching.

This is the machine I'm trying to use. It has a super small throat, and there is a definite need for quilting gloves. I can see how you can only do this for a short time....and with a better chair.

So now I'm on the hunt for a solution to my tension problem, thread barf is not pretty, and when it does work its completely wonky and loose on the back side.

Is it this?  Or is this machine just not built for what I'm doing. Its only doll quilts. I am SO glad I didn't practice on anything important!

I guess I'll just practice putting on bindings on my poorly quilted doll quilts. Good thing dolls don't mind!



Comments

  1. Hi Sandi!
    Glad I met you yesterday, too! I am so glad you sent me a link to your quilt, I think it looks great! I love your idea of an applique flower or two on it...I see teal / bright blue!
    Take a look at Bob Purcell's video on tension from SuperiorThreads.com:
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/5-tension/
    This will give you a start on how to figure out the tension issues. I found another link about using your DSM for quilting here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-41298-1.htm
    If you can't get the 70's machine working properly, there are 9" machines out there that can be mounted on a frame, that are much easier to work with, and you can always keep an eye out for a good deal on those (start dropping birthday/Christmas/anniversary present hints!) ;-)
    Keep in touch,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm gonna check them out, cuz I put the walking foot on and it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sandi,
    I am glad i found your blog. Te content you share is not only informative but interesting. I found your blog randomly but wen i started to read your posts, time flies. Also your writing method forced me on posting a comment. Keep up the good work mate. You have found another fan :D
    Also feel free to checkout my blog and if you ave any queries be my guest
    https://sewingempire.com/best-heavy-duty-sewing-machine/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts